Check out SFV CHADD's upcoming parent support group on Wed, Feb 27 @7pm.
I really tried making this a SHORT video but it was a difficult task because Dr. Brown's talk was so packed with insights and examples of how emotions affect individuals with ADHD. I left out the entire portion where he talked about medication and about the 10 common myths about ADHD (something I'll cover in a future video).
So, despite the length (21 minutes), I hope you watch all the way through because EMOTION plays a huge role in understanding and responding to ADHD.
What you'll learn:
1. How executive functions work together to drive our actions (Driving a car analogy)
2. How your IQ has nothing to do with being able to "overcome" ADHD and Executive Functioning impairments.
3. How Emotions (automatic, bodily reactions) cause "Erectile Dysfunction" of the mind.
4. How emotions are embedded into our perception or subconscious thoughts.
5. How our emotions are mixed, blended, and layered (chocolate chip cookie analogy).
6. How the intensity (or lack of intensity) drives our motivation.
Dr. Brown is a clinical psychologist who received his Ph.D. from Yale University and specializes in assessment and treatment of high-IQ children, adolescents and adults with ADD/ADHD and related problems.
Learn more about his work and the ADHD Clinic at www.brownadhdclinic.com